Hand painted Kitchen in Alton Barnes, Wiltshire

For the last few weeks I have been working on a complete Kitchen redecoration in Alton Barnes. I thought it would be nice to talk through the process and products that I used.

The most important part of this job was protecting the stone floor, so I used some corrugated plastic sheets from Wickes. These are easily cut to size with a sharp knife and give good impact resistance, while being easy to keep clean, so as to avoid dust that could contaminate the surfaces that were to be painted.

I started off with cleaning down and de-greasing all the surfaces. For this I used a product called Fluxaf, mixed as per the instructions and put into a spray bottle for easy application. All surfaces that were to be painted got sprayed and were left to soak for a few minutes before being rinsed with clean water.

Next up I removed everything possible - doors, hinges, handles, magnetic catches etc, which were all stored away safely. The last thing that is needed on completion is to find you are missing parts!

The next task was to mask up the inside of the cupboards and the glass. I find this necessary not just for quick clean painted lines, but also to give protection from scratches while sanding. For this I used a mixture of Tesa yellow and Fox green tape.

All surfaces were then sanded. For large flat areas I used my Mirka sander and Festool extractor and finished up the smaller details with Mirka goldflex sanding pads - great for getting into awkward places and shapes, but without leaving little black beads everywhere, like with normal pads. Everything then got hoovered to remove the bulk of any dust made and wiped down with Axus tack clothes to remove the finer dust particles.

I applied a coat of Otex primer, which I'd had tinted, by Holmans specialist paints in Swindon, to match the final colour that was going to be used. I thinned this slightly with white spirit to ease application. This coating adheres really well and once dry sands down really well to give a good base for the final coatings.

All the doors were painted and stacked on an erecta-rack, a great, easy to use, system that allows stacking of multiple doors in a small area, which can then be left until the doors are dry.

Most of the cupboards were in pretty good shape, but for the odd small dent or split I used Dunlop's fine surface filler. This is great for smoothing small imperfections and dries in 60 minutes, but leave it as flat as possible as it dries really hard and is not too easy to sand!

The client had chosen colours from the Little Greene range of paints, which I had matched into Tikkurila feelings furniture paint in a semi matt finish. This gives a really long lasting, tough finish for furniture and is ideal for Kitchen cupboards. I applied 2 coats of this using a mini roller, to achieve even coverage and layed this off with a 2" silver Fox brush from Mypaintbrush and Staalmeester sash, also from MPB.

Once dry, the doors were rehung onto the cupboards and all handles and catches replaced. The insides of all cupboards were then cleaned to remove any last traces of dust. Below you can see a time-lapse recording of one section of the Kitchen. If you look very closely at the beginning there is some cheeky product placement at the start - my new syslite from Festool. How I managed without I'll never know, and I have only had it 2 weeks. It shows up so much and is a great addition to my kit, which will improve the finish achieved on all my work.